I am steadily catching up!
The Warriors of Kyoshi
The King of Omashu
The Warriors of Kyoshi
- Oh Zuko. Also, non sequitur, but I have always found it immensely hilarious how Zuko takes the fish out of the room with him (and Iroh's pout that follows) for whatever reason. SUCH A DWEEB. ♥
- The Katara/Aang in this episode is so hilariously adolescent. They liiiike each other, guys! Near the beginning, Katara is all "WELL HAY HE IS PRETTY COOL" even as Sokka is unimpressed; and then, of course, she's jeeeealous. And, dude, Aang is so smooth with his little posse -- in his own mostly oblivious way. (but he wants to impress Katara most of aaaall.)
Their actual argument is my favorite because, just, d'awww. Aang sadfaces when he's walking out the door! :( :(
And then, of course, the end with her coming to see him anyways and their little reconciliation and Aang grinning his face off. Her waterbending totally gets much stronger as she is fighting to protect him. Also she is turned on when he risks his life to save burning villages and omghug.
- Aang in general in this episode is just love; I enjoy so much how he gradually starts to realize the sheer magnitude of just being the Avatar and everything he needs to do to live up to that throughout season one but he never, never backs down.
- Also: Sokka/Suki!!! I love them and their dynamic was introduced here so weeell. This cap is hot. and then, of course, there is Sokka begging for guidance and the crossdressing. Suki as sage teacher is my favorite. Also: she is cute. And then she gets all flustered and angry when he manages to get her and he's so prooooud omg.
but my favorite moment is their mutual smirk of respect. ♥
and then obviously genderfuck! especially at the end when Sokka holds his hand up to his cheek, speechless after she kisses him. Besides the fact that it is such a stereotypically girl action, there is that he is just already so owned.
- As I was rewatching, I realized that Momo is just always around, which is something I really loved. Another example of Avatar paying such good attention to the details. My favorite was his dodgy eyes as he stuffed himself under the table during breakfast; I also just have this cap of Momo randomly in the arms of some villagers behind Katara very close to the end uploaded. He's also in the rafters of the dojo during one of the scenes where Sokka and Suki are training. among other appearances!
conclusion: Avatar is the best.
- also: foaming mouth guy! muttering artist man!
& I am highlighting this exchange:
Aang: Sokka, what's your problem? Eat!
Sokka: Not hungry.
Aang: But you're always hungry!
because Pouting Sokka is endearingly hilarious and oh Aang and your little face.
The King of Omashu
- oh Aang. ("Bonzu Pipinpadaloxicopolis ... the Third!!!")
- and hallo thar, Cabbage Man. (also witness him defending his cabbages' honor!)
- I love the slide sequence! Just thought I would note this. And the music, oh gosh, can I marry the Track Team?
- The dinner with Bumi (BUUUUUUMI ♥) is so hilariously awkward. Sokka's belated hilarity in response to Bumi's horrible joke is my favorite. As is Aang's Avatar speech as he attempts to leave.
(also, I am convinced the shot of Bumi eating the lettuce leaf is a weird reference to Denethor in The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King but this is probably in my head. at least: it reminds me of it!)
- I find this episode so excessively hilarious but, what else is new, this is Avatar!
Obviously, especially this exchange:
Bumi: But for now, the guards will show you to your chamber.
Guard: My liege, do you mean the good chamber, or the bad chamber?
Bumi: The newly refurbished chamber.
Guard: Wait, which one are we talking about?
Bumi: The one that used to be the bad chamber, until the recent refurbishing that is. Of course, we've been calling it the new chamber, but we really should number them. Uh, take them to the refurbished chamber that was once bad!
Katara: This is a prison cell? But it's so nice.
Aang: He did say it was newly refurbished.
The humor there strikes me as vaguely Monty Pythonesque, for whatever reason.